Sunday, September 23, 2007

I may be the only one...

Ah, the sweet taste of victory!

In a competition for the activity that has the most difficulty time deciding whether it's supremely masculine or supremely dorky, Fantasy Baseball has to win gold. This fact may indeed make me the Midas of masculinity; for, in defeating The Durants in the championship round of my Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball league, I have repeated as my league's champion. Every fantasy team I touch turns, despite midseason tarnish, into an eventual winner.

As I was basking in the afterglow of my team's weekly batting average of .335 and their 88 hits for 140 total bases, I had a terrifying realization: What if, instead of pronouncing me the king of cool, these statistics crowned me duke of dorkiness. After all, I was, at the time of said realization, listening to motets by Medieval composer Guillaume de Machaut (1300-1377). The fact that I knew those dates without having to look them up confirmed the fears that were welling up inside of me. Rather than rescuing me from my nerdity, my fantasy baseball triumph ossified it!

Although, If I'm destined to be a nerd, at least I'm at the top of my dorky game. And I bet there aren't too many stat-crunching early music afficianados out there. And if there are, I could beat them not just at isorhythm, not just at predicting a slugger's season .OPS, but at BOTH.

So here's to me, the (dare I say) only Machaut-listening fantasy baseball king the world over!

-Nails

2 comments:

Dominick DiOrio said...

While you are probably the only Machaut-listening-Fantasy-baseball dork, I was this past Saturday (instead of apple-picking) listening to Bartok, Liszt, Dvorak and Dufay while reading recipes from Northern Italy and (not quite simultaenously) scrubbing the bathroom.

Since I've studied German, I have this irrascible habit of inserting parentheses into my sentences for no good reason.

Mark Twain knew what it was about!

Be well Nails.

Euge said...

While I agree that your activities and encyclopedic knowledge of both early music and sports stats does say quite a bit about your dorkiness, the thing that really did it for me was the fact that you managed to bring ossification into this discussion.

Well done, MacNaughty.