Friday, November 16, 2007

Thanksgiving

When the original 121 pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620, they had already had a long journey from England on which one crew member had been killed and the mast of the Mayflower shattered by storm winds (it was repaired using parts of what was to be a house in the New World). Between their landing in December and the following March, only 74 survived attacks by indigenous peoples, disease, and famine. Another winter like their first would have spelled a quick end to the American experiment in Massachusetts.

It was thanks to a native named Tisquantum (or, "Squanto") that the newly-arrived colonists had anything at all to eat the following winter. He taught them to fertilize their crops, he showed them how to plant corn, and told them where to fish for eels and fish.

Now, I realize that the analogy doesn't map exactly onto my life some 387 years later and 200 miles down I-95, but there are some people without whom my life these last few months would have been much less rewarding, successful, and - in some cases - possible at all. They are the natives who knew how best to live at the ISM. And to them I owe a debt of gratitude, a word of thanks.

1) I am thankful for the enormity of Robert's often anonymous generosity and love for his colleagues. Don't think we don't know where the chocolates come from, mister.

2) I am thankful for Sooyeon's incredible work ethic. No one else practices her conducting, with a score and a stand, as she waits to go onstage for an altogether different performance. That's dedication to your craft.

3) I am thankful for Kevin's unique (Canadian?) perspective on life and music - I find that often he makes me consider things (Kraft Dinner? Pelleas et Melisande?) from a different angle and in more depth than I otherwise would have.

4) I am thankful for Dominick's inextinguishable love for learning, care for the wellbeing of his friends, and interest in whatever music happens to be in front of him at the moment. I often find that when I replace the helping verb "get to" with "have to" (as in 'I have to go rehearse Bach now'), I can think of Dominick and how he views the creative process and the compass of my artistic ship is righted.

5) I am also thankful for she who made the journey with me - my wife Elizabeth. I certainly wouldn't have survived in the New World of New Haven without her help building our home and making it a warm, safe place to be at peace.

And now, the list, in no particular order, of other things I remember in this season of Thanksgiving:

CraWford
JDRF
Kathy, Dave, and Candice
Bach
the Christ Church choir
Magmon
Jeff, whose brilliance I seek to absorb as often as I can!
Fred
Gourmet Heaven
Yale '09 choral conductors, Lauren, Jonathan, and Brian
Yale Repertory Chorus
ECGC
Diet Coke
my father Skip, my mother Molly, and my brother Matt
Pam, Terry, and Mark
Dunkin Donuts' blueberry muffins
Yale University Health Services
Friends who, inspite of all the moves, haven't and never will lose touch (Eugene, Elias, Adam, Dave, Dave, Marc, Heinrich, Fred [again])
NPR
Brooke and Bo
Naxos Music Library
Elizabeth's hosts in NC and VA

Surely there are more that belong here above. While I may have forgotten them at the moment, they will come to me in the spaces in between moments, at the times when sustenance of soul is of vital importance, and always provided,

Thanks to you.

BMN

1 comment:

Euge said...

CLEVELAN THANK BRRPTPHHTHH DA DARR!!